I have a terrible migraine right now.
I have schizophrenia and I’m not dangerous.
Schizophrenia has stigmas. In media schizophrenics are seen as dangerous people who are crazy and need locked up. It is true that people can be dangerous to others, but not all schizophrenics are dangerous. Schizophrenics experience symptoms that aren’t in themselves dangerous. A Schizophrenic is actually more likely to hurt themselves or commit suicide then hurt anyone.
Some more prevalent symptoms includes:
- Delusions — having false, fixed beliefs, despite evidence to the contrary
- Hallucinations, such as hearing voices or seeing things that aren’t there
- Symptoms of depression, such as feeling empty, sad or worthless
- Periods of manic mood or a sudden increase in energy with behavior that’s out of character
- Impaired communication, such as only partially answering questions or giving answers that are completely unrelated
- Impaired occupational, academic and social functioning
- Problems with managing personal care, including cleanliness and physical appearance
I received an official diagnosis a few months ago. A lot has changed since symptoms started but with medication the symptoms are under control and I’m considered high functioning. I never put anyone in danger and was not a danger to myself. More specifically I suffer from Scizoaffectiv disorder depression type. So I suffer from all the symptoms above accept mania. Mine are religiously based, demons and angels and one that claims to be a god. I believed I was an exorcists and and the voices were actually demons, angels, and God speaking to me. I know now it is hallucinations and delusions. And I’m doing better with the other symptoms that I experienced as I did. With medication and therapy I’m dealing the best I can.
Medicine really is a gift from God.