I was watching the senate live a while ago and it hit me today, those senators don’t know why its illegal. The lobbyists were requesting permission to do research on medical marijuana. The lobbyists argument was that the drug was not harmful. The senator agreed the drug was not harmful but could not approve because marijuana is a #1 scheduled drug. The senators and lobbyists got into a discussion about why marijuana would be deemed as dangerous as heroin. The lobbyists were told to come back once they knew why marijuana is scheduled #1 and can prove that it is less dangerous then heroin. The senator closed up the discussion saying that the legalization of marijuana at the federal level will be impossible until it is reevaluated and put in a more appropriate rank. What makes a schedule #1? Substances that have no medical use and are deemed a high risk for abuse. Substances scheduled 2-4 require a prescription and schedule 5 substances must be used solely for medical use.
- 1906, the Pure Foods and Drug Act required that all food and drugs containing marijuana had to have it on the label.
- 1930, Mexican Revolutionary War: with immigrants coming over, the use increased.
- 1930, Federal Bureau of Narcotics was established, drugs began to be scheduled
- 1936, the movie “Reefer Madness.” showed the “dangers” of recreational pot. The public went nuts.
- 1950, federal minimal sentences for possession and use established.
Took medical marijuana almost 50 years to go from a schedule 5 to a schedule 1. It wasn’t until the year 2000 that some states decriminalized marijuana.
In 1930 the increase in use also meant increase in sales. Mexicans were most likely the ones growing and selling the recreational marijuana as a legitimate business. Making marijuana a schedule 1 took away their financial means. Senator, marijuana is a schedule 1 because the congress/senate showed their prejudice against Mexicans. Taking away their legitimate business made them criminals overnight. Mexicans still have that stigma attached to them. Like Trump said, “We have some bad humbras and we have to get them out.” Racism has produced some of the stupidest laws our country has passed.
Controlled substances schedules